Old 04-22-22, 05:00 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
I’ve been using the Snoqualmie Pass tire you mention long enough to have worn out a few. No problem at all on 17mm rims. Currently on Velocity Dyads which were a good buy, but not the greatest or the lightest. They work fine at about 18.5 internal.

If I were getting new rims first choice would be Pacenti Brevet. Second choice H+Son TB-14. Sun CR-18 has been hyper variable in quality over the decades, current production looks very good a few years now. All of these are light enough. Availability in 36 for any might need a search. I wouldn’t even enquire which was a millimeter wider or narrower.

Published weights are notoriously unreliable and then there is sample variance. Width varies less but it does vary. If you were going tubeless and pushing the tires very hard on sketchy trails and you were very sensitive and very discriminating yes there could be a small performance advantage to wider rims.

Jan Heine who sells the Snoqualmie and uses the equivalent 650B on his own rides mounts them on Pacenti. Those were once 17, think they are 18 now,