brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by jcoogs
what made you go DA vs. Ultegra?
Originally Posted by dtrain
Unfortunately there are no 28 hole 105 or Ultegra front hubs.
Basically that's your answer added to the fact that I plan on having these wheels a long long time. My primary concern is track racing and I only really ride road to train towards it.

I've had Ultegra hubs on my last 2 wheelsets and I am happy. The first set of wheels on my first 2nd hand bike were older Ultegra hubs laced 28/28 to Mavic CXP30 rims. They still live on the trainer, but the rear I think needs rebuilding as a few of the spokes keep going out of tension. I tensioned them myself and noted that the spokes weren't twisting, so that at least isn't the cause. Before this started happening, I had ridden those wheels while weighing in excess of 300lb and down to 275lb over a period of 2.5yrs with not a problem whatsoever. Who knows how many kms were on the wheels when I got them?

If you're happy with 32 spokes, then you may want to look at 105 hubs. Really there's not much difference besides the weight to Ultegra from what I've read. As for DA~Ultegra, just comparing my from track front wheel that is DA 32 to Aerohead rim to my road Ultegra 32 to A23, the DA does roll smoother. Not much, but it does.

Also remember, a 36 spoke wheel built by an average wheelbuilder will be an average wheel. A 28 spoke wheel built by a good wheelbuilder will trump the average 36 every time, irrespective of your weight. Well built wheels will last. I think I've been lucky to jag that for each of my wheels.