View Single Post
Old 01-04-19, 12:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Circumstance is everything.

I have a similar life philosophy to you about job selection and choices to use daily activities to remain fit, but I don't judge why other people have certain jobs. That's a complicated issue that I'm probably not qualified for because I don't know every persons life history. A large component of my job is trying to motivate people to perform physical tasks when they feel their small effort is not worthwhile so I have adopted the motto "something is better than nothing" and support any attempt at fitness someone makes, no matter where it occurs.

The solution of using a gym to supplement fitness as a result isn't right or wrong. All a gym does is concentrate the opportunities to exercise into one building, usually in an activity specific way. We have two at work - one for residents, one for staff (my facility has 700 residents and 600 staff).

We also should consider region. I haven't been to Miami but I suppose it is a little easier to be active outdoors year round there than say, for someone in Edmonton or Oslo.

You and I are having an agreement-fest! I'd just add that psychological needs and personal preferences vary as much as well.

For me, going to the gym isolates me from distractions at home and in the office that might otherwise detract from the workout. Biking does much the same thing by demanding all of my focus. In the gym, I can distract my mind from the tedium of long cardio by watching a movie. I'd probably be watching the same movie at home, but instead of working out, I'd probably end up eating.

It would be nice to live in a world where no one had to work sedentary jobs, but that not only isn't reality, there's no reason to believe that automation isn't going to do away with a lot more of the non-sedentary ones in the not too distant future.