View Single Post
Old 09-23-20, 11:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I was trying to stay out of this troll’s latest party, but it’s good to remember that cycling actually is a profoundly good cardio opportunity because the high speed creates a lot of cooling and heat dissipation. This helps allow higher exertion compared to exercise without that cooling.

Swimming of course has significantly more cooling potential and is pretty much the maximum cardio option in terms of how hard you can sustainably work your cardio system.

Both cycling and swimming also have the advantage of being low impact.

Lastly, ride SS for a while and you will definitely get upper body and core workout.

Otto
True, I did a lot of biking in 95 degree + weather this year. I wouldn't call it fun, but it was tolerable over long distances. Only really sucks on the climbs when you can't generate enough air flow to match the heat from the effort.

I think I get the same effects as SS by riding habitually in a 53 x 11 gear combo. I shift down a bit for hills, but I know I'm probably taking them with a combo more typical of a SS. It definitely works my upper body, but nowhere near as much as the elliptical on high resistance.

BTW, I think the best way to thwart a troll is to have a reasonable conversation start in the troll thread.