J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I am not sure how much rubbing and polishing you are going to be able to do with the wheel held into those notches by gravity alone. Not certain whether quick releases will work to hold the wheel in place. I am also concerned about flexure of the support arms letting the axle pop out of the support notches.
This would be a major concern for me as well, and I designed the notches that hold the axle ends to be about as thick as a bike's dropouts so that the skewers could be clamped down tightly. The arms are relatively inflexible, so I should be able to get a good "shoeshine buff" on the areas of the rims between the spokes. I used to have to do that by holding the wheel between my legs. By the time I get done with that procedure, I'm usually a filthy mess. I'm sure that my methods aren't exactly in line with anyone else's but I been doing it that way for more than 50 years, and the results are worth it. I'll post more pics as I go along, but this is a work-in-progress, so I have no problems with pitching it all into the bin if it does not please me.