Old 09-09-21, 01:23 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
And that is exactly what I did not want this project to be - a mutated truing stand, Andy! I already have two Park truing stands, and I dont like to do anything other than true wheels with them. With the arms in the horizontal position, and at that height, the wheel is held in such a way that i can sit on my shop stool and work on them with much less discomfort than if I was standing or sitting in a chair with the wheel in my lap. Make no mistake: This is a proprietary device, designed to hold wheels for cleaning and polishing, and suited to my body ergonomics - nothing more.

About your milling machine: I'm a retired machinist by trade. You have no idea how much I miss not having a milling machine and a lathe in my shop. My mind creates things that simply shouldn't be done by hand, hence the cobbed-together look of what you see here. I used to have a full compliment of machinery here in my shop, but I sold my knifemaking business and the machines where included in the deal. I can't bring myself to lay out that kind of cheddar for machines and tooling anymore, and I'm rather enjoying the simplicity of my life without all of that stuff. Having more bikes than I need is enough to keep me occupied.
You have nothing to be ashamed of, your work looks fine. Clearly you can do a nice job with hand tools and patience. I recall an anecdote about a German machinist's apprentice being given a chunk of metal, a micrometer, a file and time, and being told to make a cube.