Old 11-12-21, 09:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Great pic. They are definitely moving south. Just got back from a couple of days/nights backpacking in Harriman St. Park and saw none in the flesh but several big scats loaded with berry pits and hair. Also coyote leavings, mostly hair. I took no scat pics..
There were fliers in the park warning about bears. If you are unfamiliar with a place you sometimes don't know how much reality is behind them. One place I ride to regularly in S. Jersey has similar fliers. The chances of encountering a bear there are extremely slim and none. The big problem is trash pandas. But having had close encounters with bears in N. Jersey and PA while touring I decided to store my attractants in one of the shower/bathrooms while at Taconic.

We have had three bears come through Philly in the last 5 years or so. And those are only the ones that we know about. Last summer I was finishing a long weekend tour and ventured off a popular bike trail just outside the city limits for a nature break. It was a wooded area with a creek running through it. In the mud I saw what were clearly bear tracks.