Old 02-15-22, 01:46 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
I think also that components could play a more important role in the identity of a bike than people so far have said. I mean, if I took a bike that came originally with Sun Tour components from the 80s and put on a Shimano Di2 system, I think I would have to parse the situation again.

Or, I can recall a TdF picture of Lemond with a TT bike, Mavic derailleur, and Simplex Retrofriction downtubers. Or Armstrong with a rear brifter and a front downtuber. Change those things and the iconic set up is no more.

Or, the XO-1 was defined 1) as a Grant Petersen bike but 2) that bike with mustache handlebars. A lot changed between year 1 and year last on the XO-1 but the bars defined the bike. If I had the chance to get my hands on an XO-1 today, the last thing I would change would be the bars.
It would still ride the same, just shift better. I wouldn't call that a different bike. Just a modded whatever it was in the first place. Certain components can certainly be iconic if they are unique and associated with one specific bike or use case. Shimano Di2 certainly doesn't define a bike simply because it's standard fitment across many different bikes. Cannondale's Lefty fork is an example of a bike defining iconic component. But even that doesn't warrant it's own bike model name.