View Single Post
Old 01-07-20, 01:50 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Glyndwr
I was a big Claude Criquielion fan during my formative years as a pro cycling fan, and I found this '89 Merckx Century in the colors of the Hitachi team for which he had ridden that season. I had a bike already built in full Mavic (which is what this bike would have been equipped), and because those parts are getting harder and harder to find in nice condition and are also expensive, I went another direction and built it with mostly Campagnolo C-Record, with a bit of Record 8-speed Ergo thrown in. I was sure to include some parts to give the bike a Criquielion flavor, namely a Cinelli cockpit, including Criterium bars, a Selle San Marco Rolls saddle and pair of first generation Look pedals.

That is a beauty, and ties in well with mine;

Criq rode for Lotto-MBK in his last couple of seasons. I had this team-colours frame sitting in my garage for a couple of years and just never built it up. This summer I finally pulled all the parts off a different bike and threw them on this. Should've done it years ago. Now that I've ridden it, I have bigger plans for it than the 8-speed Mirage group shown here; a pair of silver Ksyriums that I recently picked up, and some Athena 11-speed equipment will be the next step.

My other project for the year wasn't really C&V, but the Family subforum doesn't usually go in for this so here goes.

I picked up these 2 bikes locally for free on FB Marketplace. They'd been sitting in a garden, in the sun, getting rusty.

I stripped down the Magna (on the right), got some cans of Spray.bike;

And built up with some spares from the parts bin and a few extras off of Amazon;

My son is 4, and I may have underestimated how long it would take him to outgrow his 12" Spesh Hotrock, but he's really looking forward to being big enough to take this out. But not as much as I'm looking forward to it.