Old 09-20-22, 10:47 AM
Gear_Admiral 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
> Also, due to safety concerns, I don't do any more road riding. Indoor trainer or a nearby Rail-Trail about 35 minute DRIVE away from home. 24 miles of that drive are on a bridge that does not allow bikes, not that I would bike it anyway.

This is a legitimate concern!

You should lament how hard it is to live car-light and how unsafe it is to simply ride on roads. You're in the USA where car ownership and/or regular access is a de facto tax on most residents for just living daily life in the country anywhere outside of NYC.

However, the thread title is not quite accurate.

Here is what others and I am reading from your previous posts in this thread: "I'm a vegetarian, except for the steak meals my spouse makes for me every week and the bacon I have every morning, but I don't have a pig farm and I have to go to a grocery store only when they allow me (i.e., during business hours). Because I don't have free and unlimited access to meat 24/7, I am no different from any other vegetarian. I can therefore comment on the vegan lifestyle: on what it is like having to find restaurants that don't have meat, on what I do to get enough proteins, iron, and vitamin B12."

If you had just said, "I'm a fit bike commuter who just hit his 60s, but the American infrastructural landscape and the American health care system pretty much have forced me to go from being car-light to commuting daily in an automobile. :-(" then the reactions would have been far different.

Some people are acting like gatekeepers because your posts came off as if you were someone who minimizes exposure to food additives loaded with high fructose corn syrup who then lumps himself with people who must avoid the substance entirely due to an allergy and acts like an expert on living in America with a corn allergy. (This is very hard because American foodstuffs in grocery stores and many dishes in restaurants in America sneak at least a little high fructose corn syrup into many things.)

Just as those you have set to ignore may judged you hastily, you may be judging hastily, too. They may see someone with de facto regular access (though not constant or on-demand access) to a car, space to store said car, the income to afford said car, and a spouse who can use said car to run errands as someone unable to truly understand what it is like to live 100% car-free in America. I would place people like myself in the car-free category: only driving very occasionally in a rental once every four months or not at all. People in this position by choice, money, location, or some combination have legitimate reasons for disputing your self-description of having been car-free for thirty years.
Likes For Gear_Admiral: