View Single Post
Old 01-15-23, 08:10 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,934 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I remember reading as much from you on a previous post, and I appreciate the additional details. Interesting note about the Paramount.

How was your Circuit setup, if you don't mind divulging?

So it was built up with a modern Campagnolo 11 speed Athena groupset and then after a couple of months I added the Zonda wheels which put it at 20 lbs 14 ozs as in this picture. I don't remember for sure but it was probably a compact crank because I also did a lot of climbing on it. The cockpit wasn't very aggressive on it either. I had thirty-some bikes most of the time when I had this one and yet could just get this up to speed faster it seemed than anything else. Was it the bike, chance, subtle difference in setup, who know? When I started doing a major downsize on the bikes I passed this on to the mechanic who built it for $400. He had been lusting for it since the build.

In comparison the 87 Paramount was quite a looker and was actually the first 1987 one made according to the serial number. It was running Dura Ace 9 speed and I got it down to 19 lbs even. Yet it just couldn't compete with the times I got on the Circuit. Looking at my comments in my old post the Paramount was always slower ever the same routes than the times I'd get with the Circuit and the PDG Paramount. Of all my Schwinn's the PDG is the one I have kept. I tried various wheel/tire setups and other things with the 87 Paramount it it was just always the slowest. So as much as I loved how it looked it was an easy one to pass on.

19 lbs even in this picture sporting the Roland Zen handbuilts wheels that were right at 1400 grams. Those wheels are now on the GP&GS Lemond and going strong. Never had to touch them over the 12 years I've ridden them. At times my weight has been above 200 lbs while using them.

I've so much respect for these late 80's Circuits and that's the model I picked to get my my son several years ago to see if he wanted to get into road cycling.

This beauty was mint but he decided he just wanted to stick to mountain biking....weird. LOL!

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-15-23 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Cause I'm a freaking idiot that can't type at types. Jeesh!
Likes For jamesdak: