Thread: Job offers !
View Single Post
Old 01-29-21, 04:55 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by KenCT
I retired 5 and a half years ago, went from being on call 24/7 and putting in 50 to 60 hours a week at work to what am I going to do now. I still work in my field but now part time, taking most of the summer and winter off. I became active with our local history museum and recently volunteered to be a member of our town finance board. Keeps me active, involved and I interact with some awesome people. Stress level is a fraction of when I worked full time and I have a lot more time to ride my bikes.
For me the hard thing will be figuring out how to go down to 3 days a week. We share overhead expenses equally, so if I'm working 3 days a week, we have to come to another arrangement. Maybe pay 3/5 or even have the support I need outsourced and pay for it directly.

Then I have to talk clients into (1) keeping me but (2) on a reduced workload. That can be hard to manage. It may well be very up and down, which is OK, but that presents a problem with the administrative expenses.

Or maybe chuck it all, get off the self-employment wagon, and take a job as in house counsel for a few days a week. Maybe even do it for a start up and take compensation in terms of options ... I dunno.

Of course, there is a part of me that thinks as soon as I semi-retire, I'm gonna say "the hell with it" and give it up completely. I could be happy as a Walmart greeter or a ski host.

Last edited by Biker395; 01-29-21 at 05:00 PM.
Likes For Biker395: