View Single Post
Old 10-31-08, 06:52 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Broccolitree
Hello all, this is my first post and I'd like to start off by saying that this forum has been plenty helpful in helping me get to know my personal Nishiki, so I thought I'd contribute my model number to the database. I picked up the bike with intentions to convert it to a fixie and to generally learn about bicycle maintenance through the process. I'm pretty sure only the frame, cranks, pedals and possibly the fork are original. The handlebars, wheels, brakes and seat have been replaced with newer parts. Since I'm new to bicycles I'll just list as much as I know about the original frame (not much.)

Nishiki Competition Pre-1975

Model Number: KS 3470
Cranks: Sugino Mighty Cranks
Dropouts: Suntour GT

Looks very similar to keithm0's International in paint and sticker style (post #55,) but there is a competition logo near the stem chainside. I was going to strip the bike down and repaint it, but I fell in love with the "personality" of the paint and all of it's nicks and scratches. I'm in the middle of taking the bike apart, but I'll post pictures when I get the bike ridable again.

I am curious to get a better idea of when the bike might have been made. I've looked through this thread and haven't seen any 4-digit model numbers and thought that might mean this frame in particular might be a little older.
Despite the 6 character serial number, it would appear to be no older than 1973. Nishiki were orignally marketed under the American Eagle brand until part way through 1972. Even then, they kept the original, Japanese model names and did not start using the Anglicized model names until 1973. The Competition was 4th from the top of the line, just above the International, circa 1973/1974. While the frame may actually look like an International, it is one step up, featuring double butted CrMo tubing, versus the straight gauge CrMo tubing used on the International. Those cranks and derailleurs are original spec, so you may be able to narrow the year using the date code information of the components page of the Vintage-Trek website. FYI, original price in 1973 was $199 US.