Old 05-22-22, 06:56 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I only had the one a 2007.5 MK5 GTI. So that... yeah. In addition to the three major failures over 3.5 years of ownership, there was a rattle that bugged the crap out of me. It didn't happen all the time, but sometimes when closing the driver's side door, there would be a very annoying metallic rattle. One day (when having a bad day with the ex) I decided to go figure it out. Alone in the car, the rattle would happen every time I closed the driver's side door. It was coming from the passenger's side, but when sitting on that side to be closer and closing that door, no noise. Eventually I sat in the driver's seat, leaned over, and close the door. The rattle was right under me.

After a little more experimentation, I discovered that the passenger seatbelt receptacle had a slightly loose part, and when the seat was empty the receptacle would bounce just enough from a closing door to rattle, but if someone was sitting there the motion would be attenuated enough to be silent. A tiny sliver of paper towel shoved in stopped the rattle forever.

I do understand why people like VWs; I'd be fine with another GTI (from a driving perspective) anywhere I wanted a low-ground-clearance toy, but the chance of failure is just too high for anything I'd count on daily.
It’s hard for me to understand how VOA can make some of the most reliable cars on the road (eg, 911) and yet some very unreliable cars.