Old 09-27-22, 11:11 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Truly, a gorgeous bike! Love the color, gives a 50s vibe. What's the history of your bike?
This is a frame that spent years hanging in @gugie's Atelier. He picked it up cheap from a local non-profit (Community Cycling Center) because some previous owner had chopped off the rear derailleur hanger. The paint was flaking and the decals were almost entirely gone. For a long time he had assumed it was an Atala because only the "la" remained of the original decals. Only after looking closer at the build details like the fishmouth fork and stay ends, and the 26.4 seatpost size did he realize it was French. Every time I visited the Atelier I'd look up and admire the color scheme and chrome lugs. Eventually @gugie agreed to repair the derailleur hanger and sell it to me at a reasonable cost on the condition that I give it the proper restoration it deserved. I was more than happy to agree. Here's a pic of it in my garage after the initial repair.

(The paint is actually much worse than it appears in the pictures.) After a test build to make sure I liked the fit and ride of it, I took it back to the Atelier to have water bottle bossed added.

After that, I sent it off to Jeffrey Bock to be painted and decaled. Jeff did a wonderful job, as you can see.

The final step was a custom repro headbadge made by @rhm.