Old 01-27-13, 08:20 PM
Jandro 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
To be constructive, if you are feeling good you should do things that work in your favor tactically speaking. Pulling everyone along for no reason benefits everyone except you. If you're pulling into a tailwind or a crosswind now you have a reason to pull - you can wear out the others because they may not be able to get shelter from the wind. Think about how your work affects the others.

Instead of pulling you can try attacking. Sit near the back (I know, boring as heck), wait until you can't stand it because it's so slow, then wait another 30 seconds as you mosey up the side of the field (middle is better but side works too). When you're about 3 rows from the front then make sure you're clear to move and launch a big attack. Once you get up to speed hold it for a bit, 20-30 seconds, then ease back into a sustainable but painful effort.

Look back to see what happened. If you attracted a few companions then gently ask them to work. If the field is on your wheel then ease, take a sip from your bottle, and realize that your attack wasn't decisive at all. Rethink your options.

Etc etc etc.
Gracias mucho.

More background:
A friend and I were working together (he is much stronger than I am) at the beginning, really pushing the pace in the first 4 laps. We put a ~50m gap on the field (not much) and I was starting to pop so I told my buddy I had one good pull left, dug in for 30 seconds, pulled off and watched him slingshot and ride away. I let the pack catch back up and recovered for a lap or two.

Another friend of mine went off the front to try and bridge. I worked my way up and tried to get the group to give chase but after 3 big pulls, some frantic elbow waving and with no one wanting to help/put in effort, I got frustrated and sorta just turned off the gas until the last 3/4 of a lap. Moved up and got a clean line for the sprint. I got 5th in the bunch sprint but we never did reel in the first break (friend that tried to bridge got a flat and by the time he had changed it, he was out). Like I said, he is much strong than I am and basically time trialed the last 6 laps, finishing about 15 seconds before the rest of the bunch.

The 5s are weird. Or normal and I'm just not used to it, yet.