Old 03-22-22, 09:55 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Have you looked at some of the NJ permanents? Some people definitely ride on some roads in NJ that I find terrifying. And even go so far as designing permanents in Central Pennsylvania that route along some terrifying roads as well.
I am not familiar with any of the Perms in my area but did look at the only two that get into my area. Most seem to wander towards the Shore in the Piney area. My experience in general down there is positive WRT roads, the drivers? Not so much.

Half Dirty and Meander to Milford Perms are on good roads with little traffic. There used to be a Perm from Petes in Flemington that took you straight down Rt 523 into Stockton. Not a horrible road but one that I never ride because there are 2 or 3 much, much better alternatives or like the one 200K PA used to do in the winter from Milford up to Hope area and then down to Hopewell, it takes Rt 579 and 519. Good choice especially in winter, they are always clear of ice but there are much, much better alternatives. Not horrible roads but I never take them in warm weather. Those three county routes are the worst in the area IMO but they are not bad. They have shoulders and good line of sight.

I have been on rides in other areas and the local riders refused to take the planned course because there were better albeit longer segments around the busy and terrifying road. When I did not listen to the locals and followed the cuesheet, I always regretted it. As an aside, on Saturday's 200k, the GPS file on my Garmin flashed "Warning" in Red just before a corner with the nastiest pothole imaginable. That was cool. I don't know how that came to be but my feeble and dehydrated brain got a kick out of it