View Single Post
Old 10-14-22, 04:57 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCox
Yeah its 126 mm. would a shimano claris r2000 set work? Not full group set probably just rear derailleur and shifters and maybe switch to a 8 speed cassette. Are moderen 8 speed cassette wheels 130mm or 126 mm. Or can i find a wheel with a 8 speed cassette at 126 mm.
Newer cassette hubs are 130mm, and meant for 8-10speed. You can find an older 126mm Shimano cassette hub which will take a 7 speed cassette, or 8 of the 9 cogs out of a 9 speed cassette, or 9 out of the 10 cogs from a 10 speed cassette.
A Claris 2000 groupset would work. But speaking for myself, I do not like seeing any modern black parts on classic bikes. A used Shimano 600 6400 or Dura Ace 7400 groupset would look much better on this frame. It's not 'period correct' but at least it's period 'close enough'. They come with brifters and dual pivot brakes, so they will perform every bit as good as the Claris R2000.
Alternatively, if you want to stick with that existing hub and wheel, you can put a 7 speed freewheel on there, and move some locknut washers to the left and then re-center the wheel. You can either use a Shimano RSX 7 speed brifter to shift with that freewheel, or a Campy 8 speed Ergo brifter drivetrain would work too. I do not recommend running that 8 speed freewheel on that 126mm hub- too much axle overhang and too easy to bend the axle.
Likes For icemilkcoffee: