View Single Post
Old 09-01-17, 12:09 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I recently found myself grateful for the 73-degree quill stem when I fitted myself to this admittedly-large Centurion thrift-store find.

I ended up removing an intermediate threaded lockring from the original headset, then making an open-top "shorty" hex locknut that fit flush with the end of the shortened steerer.

And to get the handlebar height just perfect, I put a radiused notch at the inside front of the end of the steerer to accommodate the inside bend compound radius of the original Nitto stem.

I didn't think I would quite get there, but I did, with the perfect 2-3/4" drop from saddle to bars I was after. Long legs makes the standover height a non-issue for my mere 5'9" skeleton, incredibly.
So I would say that the 73-degree quill stem makes sense, within the wide range of adjustment possibilities that it was intended to facilitate.
And, most ironically, this factory-supplied stem is a Technomic!

Before-to-after:

Last edited by dddd; 09-01-17 at 12:14 AM.