Old 11-04-17, 08:14 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
I thought you didn't like your tk1. Why'd you go back?
I knew this would come up

My complaints about the 2010 TK1:

A) Tilting Ritchey seat mast topper (deal breaker)
B) Largest size was 57cm TT
C) 40mm offset fork

I was talking with my bike fitter about the issues one day about how I didn't have the tilting seat or fork offset issues with my Tiemeyer. He was quiet then said, "Do you still have the Tiemeyer?" I did. He also said that both the Tiemeyer and TK1 were too small for me. But, moving back to the Tiemeyer would at least eliminate the deal-breaking seat issue that lost me races. I sold the TK1, rode the 57cm Tiemeyerand and ordered a new 58cm Tiemeyer that addressed all 3 of those issues (ableit only 1cm longer but with a 15cm head tube instead of the 11cm on the previous...I should have had it made at least 2cm longer at 59cm).

Nowadays, I want a 60-61cm TT. There are only a few high-end bikes that come that long. Many are labeled "60cm" but are not. The 60cm Fuji carbon actually has a 58cm TT. The "60cm" Koga has a 57cm TT. So, the TK1 and Cervelos have the longest top tubes (that I can recall off hand).

Since then, Felt went to the 3T seat mast stopper with the indexed DIFF-LOCK system, that addresses issue A.
They also increased the TT length 3cm which addresses issue B.
They still have the 40mm offset fork (issue C). This is my only concession.

The TK FRD (TK1) is the best bike for me right now that:
- Addresses all of the deal-breaking issues (seatposts slipping, toppers tilting, dropouts slipping, etc...)
- Has the reach I need.
- Is high quality.
- Is available.
- Is fancy

Random fact: The bike weighs 8.3kg/18.5lbs as pictured above. That's only 1lb lighter than the 61cm steel Snyder.

Last edited by carleton; 11-04-17 at 08:35 AM.