Old 12-29-20, 05:11 PM
fixiefix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Another thing, you could get shorter cranks i.e 165mm or 152mm which are quite affordable and give many benefits. For starters they make downhill fast cadence on fixed bikes much less scary due to the smaller pedal-turning circle and smaller range of hip/knee angles compared with 170mm cranks, but the true benefits are manifold. Length of crank should be proportionate to length of calf/thigh and apparently the 170mm 'standard length' crank is only suitable for the average 6'3" person's legs and basically the bike industry just gives everyone the same length by default to save a bit of hassle/cost on their part and then it's up to you to change them but of course most people don't bother and some will end up getting sports injuries such as hip inpingement or knee problems, keeping them out of the saddle for many months, however usually these only creep in after many years of riding with the 'wrong length' cranks. Of course many others will never get any problems, but if your cycling is purely recreational and non-competitive (ie. you're not going to miss out on much from losing that tiny bit of torque - not financially anyway) then why take the risk with your body? Yes torque will be reduced marginally but your leg muscles will adjust to it in no time (a few short weeks in my case) and you will soon forget that your cranks are a tiny bit shorter than they used to be, not to mention you will regain the acceleration/speed that you had with the longer cranks, 99% of it anyway. Professional athletes/cyclists train hard and then rest adequately too with an abundance of physios, trainers and all manner of therapies at their disposal. I think I remember seeing the disgraced Lance Armstrong (probably not unique to him though) bathing his legs in a bathtub of freezing water filled with ice for half an hour, at the end of each day of cycling on the TdF. Besides, they retire by age 40 and don't necessarily care about lingering sports injuries as they're wealthy and can afford to live the easy life. I should also mention that injuries resulting from the wrong length cranks can also be compounded by other fitment issues such as wrong seatpost height, stem height, saddle angle or just by riding on a frame which is slightly too large even if you think it's the right size for you. I'm sure there's probably a few other bad-fitment cases I didn't mention.