Old 01-05-22, 04:04 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
The vaccines are clearly not preventing infection - at all. Canadians are highly vaccinated (~80%) and we are seeing 400% more cases per day than any previous peak.

I'm not getting a 3rd shot until they reformulate it.
I'm going to dip my toe in this one, but as we move from pandemic to endemic, I don't believe that positivity rates are going to be the metric of choice for much longer. Digging into the numbers, while positivity rates are up ~400% in some areas, hospitalizations are only up 45-50% due to the sheer volume and the death rate is down significantly from last year and flat compared to the delta variant. The majority of those in the hospital and dying are unvaccinated. I also believe that like the flu, there will be annual COVID shots to chase whatever the current variant is. The flu shot is reformulated each year based on the current strain and as we learn more about COVID, we will become more efficient at producing the necessary booster for the current strain just like the flu, but we aren't there yet and what we have is effective at keeping people from dying and that is a good thing.