Old 11-11-19, 03:39 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
This morning the snow was coming down so fast, I didn't care how cold it was.

First, a flashback to last Wed., first ride of the season with the studs. As a neighbor / fellow member mentioned on the C&V thread, we've been "enjoying" not only one of the earliest first snows in history, but because of the late snow in the spring, the shortest span between spring and fall snows. Last Wed I even took the bike elevator from hilltop level down to lake level, to avoid any slippery downhill situations. This brings me right past the Monona Terrace approach to the Capitol:

The MonkeyLight looks kinda wimpy in this pic; it's much more prominent when I'm in motion.

Flash forward to this morning; plows running late, snow falling FAST. Fortunately I have the choice of a MUP for about 70% of the ride, and as is often the case, it was plowed before many of the side streets. So I followed the MUP to Monona Terrace and took the elevator UP to office building level. Down at lake level, it was weird seeing a full snow cover, and the lake still completely open water:

Those little dark forms on the lake surface are coots, little black ducks who "summer" here along with the more familiar mallards. Some stay around all year, some migrate.... somewhere. These folks seem to be just as confused/p!$$ed/surprised as the wingless two-legged population.

You can just see, frame right, the recently-plowed MUP, with fresh fall already accumulating.