Old 01-02-18, 02:13 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
I'm upgrading a 1998 Santana Arriva from 8 speed to 10 speed (and customizing bars/stem/saddles/pedals). Here's the path I took to keep my costs low. I'm not a fan of 2x11, I prefer triples for my own reasons (and choose not to discuss my reasons here on BF ).

- I kept the original cranks and mounted modern Shimano 10 speed chainrings from 105 crankset (53/39/24). Cost was ~$50 total (ebay). Setting up a tandem with Ultegra crankset isn't going to be easy or cheap. For that matter, anything except your stock cranks is going to be expensive.

- I bought Tiagra 4603 shifters off ebay that are brand new in OEM bags for $110. I like them because they have the window for chain position (nice to have on a tandem) and external shift cables to help with the extra long rear derailleur cable friction. Also, Tiagra 4603 shifter should work with low-cost 7-8-9 speed MTB derailleurs (of which I have several in my spare parts bin). The Tiagra 4703 have hidden shift cables, lack the chain position window and need a special version rear derailleur. Anything 2x11 requires an 11 speed rear derailleur.

- I stayed with 10 speed so I could use low cost rear hubs. I bought a set of 40H Shimano HF-08 for $180. If I wasn't stuck with 160mm spacing and a rear drum brake I'd just buy 32H Shimano XT 756 rear hub and install a steel axle and 5mm of spacers. I'm building new wheels so I can run 35mm tyres on wider rims. I'm selling the old skinny tyre wheelset because it's cheaper in the end.
Some good ideas here.
But if you were desperate for 11sp double without spending too much I would,
- get 11sp cassette and turn 0.070" out of the back. It will then fit your existing wheel.
- New chainrings on your existing cranks. Leave off granny ring. Just not sure if the spacing between chainrings would be too much.
- New, shorter BB at the back to correct chainline. Maybe not essential. Need to make sure new front mech has enough reach too.