Old 11-03-20, 08:26 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I use platform pedals and I wear Kamik Green Bay boots.

The pair I have are going on their 4th winter and are still in very good condition. I expect to get several more years out of them. You can find them all over the place for under $100, and I bought mine at Mills Fleet Farm on sale for $40. Yes, they are cold climate barn boots. My feet stay warm and dry in them.

They use a synthetic rubber lower shell and a nylon upper. I believe they use a polyester fleece liner. Kamik rates them for down to -40 degrees and I have worn them down to -35F. And best of all, they sell them in a size 14 which I need.

Kamik does make boots for colder climates than Fargo's -40. Their "Cody" is rated for down to -100F at a price under $150 US.
Good share, I will check those out at the local Farm & fleet. They also seem to have the Cody. but they look "stiff" meaning the foot doesn't seem to be able to rotate like it needs on a pedal.
I noticed with some winter boots that work good for walking, they don't work well for biking since the foot and "upper part" need to flex in relation to each other as the pedal moves through the stroke. This is unlike walking where the ankle joint doesn't need to rotate a lot. I will see when i try them out.

As for the temperature rating, those are for walking where the foot does some work. On a pedal, the foot barely does anything and gets colder. It also is good to get boots that are larger. this provides more air around the foot (air insulates) and doesn't limit circulation. So a given boot can be warm or cold depending on size.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 11-03-20 at 08:38 PM.