View Single Post
Old 07-11-21, 09:19 PM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts

My first real summer ride this year. It got as hot as 33 C (91F). For the past couple of weeks we have had heavy rain and it had been 4 weeks since my last decent ride.

I joined a group ride with friends, but 1 1/2 hours into the ride it became clear that I couldn't keep up the pace in this heat with my level of fitness and I let the ride leader know I'd continue on my own. This made it much easier to avoid heatstroke. I drank liters and liters of water and other beverages, but barely peed all day because it all came out as sweat.

I changed my route to re-visit a waterfall on a river upstream from a local dam and lake. The ride there was very scenic, but I found the road to the falls totally obliterated.

Yes, this gaping hole to the right side of the concrete wall used to be a road, level with the top of the wall! I have no idea how it could be washed out like that.

So I turned around and headed back to the Tamagawa river that I had crossed in the morning, then upstream as far as Ome. That would get me my century distance with the least amount of climbing.

In Ome I had curry with garlic nan at "Sherpa", my favourite Nepalese, then cycled down the river again. An hour from home I got into a thunderstorm. I had to take shelter under a roof to wait out a torrential downpour before I could finish my ride (163 km, on Strava).
Likes For joewein: