View Single Post
Old 12-03-21, 02:09 PM
KarstenHW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Is it though? I seriously think you should send that fork back to Santana, at their expense. This is your first tandem? I'm sorry, but with all due respect, you don't need to be putting a brand new fork (and headset) on a 33 year old tandem. Why did they feel you needed a new fork? You do not. More accurately, if the original fork is so compromised that a new one is 'strongly recommended' then another tandem would be the way to go. Obviously, water under the bridge. So, IMO it wouldn't be the thing to throw good money after good enough. It's none of my business what you paid for the tandem, but for a first rig, the process should be easier, I think, on the hardware side. You will have plenty enough acquiring the nuances of riding twogether. Even if you have already cut your teeth on borrowed bikes or rentals, still ... $500 - $600 will get you a mid-90's Burley Samba in excellent condition, that will absolutely be enough tandem for a team of any experience level.
To me, spending countless hours restoring an old bicycle/tandem/object is a passionate and rarely a purely rational (or even financially wise) undertaking. On the other hand, instead of hoping for the best regarding safety, erring on the safe side is the reasonable approach. In particular when it directly involves another person I care about.