View Single Post
Old 01-13-22, 12:06 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I should have also commented on weight, most airlines will still hold you to the 50 pound or 23kg limit. I have never flown one of the airlines that has a 20kg limit, but I know such airlines exist.

A luggage scale is the traveler's best friend.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
The max size is pretty amazing though. There are very large bike cases, someone that posts here has one. They can always refuse to take it if they don't wanna, but unless it's a regional flight I can't imagine that happening.
Yeah, there recently was a long thread on the touring board, someone wanted to use an Amtrak box which exceeded the max size limit for the airline of his choice.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...e-airline.html

Amtrak boxes are big enough you leave both wheels on. Photo below is my medium duty touring bike just before I put it in the Amtrak box.

If it looks out of proportion, those are 26 inch wheels and 50 mm tires. And a 61 cm frame.

You are not supposed to have anything on the bike in the Amtrak box, at least that is Amtrak policy, but two empty water bottles and two empty panniers are not going to bother them.

I always like to take a photo of my bike before it goes in the box for documentation of the condition.