Old 01-20-22, 03:43 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you tested them in the freezer, that is a good test. The Ladda batteries that I spoke positively on are white in color, but they have had brown ones and now have some gray ones. Each has different chemistry.
My test was with the white ones. I have some of the newer blue-gray ones, but have not tested them. However, my first problem with Ikea batteries and temperatures was with the alkaline ones that quit working below freezing - I suspect that the temperature range is something that the supplier(s) does not care about.

https://www.cis.rit.edu/htbooks/nmr/inside.htm
Arctic explorers need to use mechanical watches, watches with batteries do not work for them in cold.
I saw some program where the frame of host's spectacles cracked when he went out to open in some subarctic region.

http
Riding a bike at the S Pole, that sounds a little rough. Rohloff has suggestions for different lube oil in their hubs in really cold weather but if it is colder than about 20 (F), I do not use a bike.
I actually sought out and got the grease he ended up using. However, I strayed since and use one rated just down to -30C, as I just checked.

h
If this is strictly for winter use on a bike for lighting, perhaps skip battery power completely and use dynohub lighting?
In my system the dynohub power is smoothly integrated with that of the battery, going in or out. The battery is good when I need few amps to feed a horn for use on cars.

h
About 45 years ago I needed to use some battery powered flashlights in below zero (F) conditions. I found Rayovac Heavy Duty to be best, they were cheaper than alkaline batteries at that time. But I do not even know if you can buy non-alkaline disposable batteries any more.

Maybe a battery store like Batteries Plus would have some suggestions?
When I was deciding on the lithium technology to use, I just went over different datasheets and picked the type that seemed optimal for my use. They cost was higher than the common but, given the one shot purchase, it did not matter. Yes, some of these battery stores can provide you with different options and some technologies fade out and some are even ephemeral in the market.