View Single Post
Old 01-26-22, 02:06 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
...Map location or name of the specific street so the rest of us can see?....

I've sought input on the infrastructure side of this in the past. https://www.bikeforums.net/21563574-post14.html Since I closed my comments on that thread, sharrows have been painted on full length, though the distance between them is substandard.

As I mentioned, I'm much more interested in actual safety than the legalities...

Google maps is now relatively current; from https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7705...!3m1!1e3?hl=en to https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7743...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Originally Posted by UniChris
...You said the project had 15 foot lanes, if that came from an engineering drawing maybe, if it came from a visual perception this could possibly apply....

The 15' was with a Craftsman 25' tape measure in several places along the route. Measured from curb face to curb face. No on-street parking allowed or customary.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
"Practicable" is really a rule of reason, you are supposed to use your judgment reasonably in determining the practicable far right position....
OK, I like that. I tend to take the lane on most of the roads and streets I use so I'm very comfortable asserting practicability. However, there are sections of that road where there are few/no curb cuts and I couldn't testify that 3' from the right curb isn't practicable. So I would have to plead guilty if charged with a position not FRAP in those sections, under that standard.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
...Question for flangehead --do people actually get pulled over for FRAP violations in Houston? I would think practically this is more a question of liability if, heaven forbid, someone is riding on this section of the road and gets hit....
I am not aware of anyone in recent history being pulled over on FRAP violation.

And as I said, for me legalities are at the back of the bus compared to safety. However, infrastructure gets built that encourages users to break (technically) the law. Another example is riding on a sidewalk, which by City of Houston code is effectively illegal with 300 feet of a business or industrial property. But a recently built bike route puts users on a sidewalk right in front of a business. (And no, I'm not aware of anyone that has been pulled over for riding on a sidewalk...again, the law and actual practice are in separate worlds...)

And again to be clear, I ride for my safety. In the long-term I do think it best to synchronize the law with actual infrastructure and safe practice. Besides the general benefit of not contributing to the general contempt of laws, it matters in liability if/when a bad incident occurs as livedarklions points out.
Likes For flangehead: