Old 09-27-22, 12:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I had a similar experience. Went on a whale watching trip with friends, and I was perfectly fine within the SF Bay. When we passed the Point Bonita Lighthouse, I started to feel overdressed. Then the neck on my sweater seemed too tight. Then it was clear I was getting seasick.

Then somebody THOUGHT they saw a spout, so they decided to run the boat in circles, slowly.

Then I DID get seasick, but there was no "run up on deck and puke over the rail", because the first deck was completely enclosed and the second deck was half enclosed, so if you puked from there you'd be decorating the windows on the lower deck. So, I had to sit as close to the center of the first deck as possible with a barf bag. I remember thinking, "If the boat sinks now, I might die, but at least I won't feel like this anymore."

As we headed back in, as soon as we passed Point Bonita, I immediately felt better and within a few minutes I felt completely fine. On other trips on the Bay, I've never had any problem.
The boat I was on was a trawler type with a single deck, hence throwing up overboard was preferred. Some would call it chummin.

The kids and wife were laughing because I never get sea sick and always told them that it was just in their heads.

When we did the USVI charter this year, I was the only one on board without some type of sea sickness patch or med. No queasiness whatsoever even though it got a bit "sporty." Granted, that's not truly blue water sailing where you can't see land. It really helps me to be doing something like steering the boat or trimming sails.