View Single Post
Old 10-10-22, 09:18 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
In other news, in case any of y'all cares, AG and I are still planning on moving next spring.

However, now the intent is to move in with mom for the duration of the housing chaos. If prices have plunged, rent the current house if possible, but with the low interest and early-2020 price don't sell at a low, but figure a university town with good employers will rebound faster than average. If it's only down some, try to sell. Meanwhile, with no debt other than this mortgage, we save a semi-disturbing amount of cash or equivalents for when the market stabilizes. No rent, as mom is comfortable anyway and views it as "just delaying you guys getting the house" rather than freeloading. And she likes having us around anyway.

Long-term the place is smaller than we'd like, but for free it's the right price, and is a maximum-defense situation in a time of economic uncertainty. Even if we were both to lose our jobs, we could sell the current house in good order rather than desperation and last longer than most recessions without employment.

Even knowing we're very lucky overall, it feels like life has been chaos and earthquakes for years on end. I hope everyone is doing ok.
I may have not been paying attention. Is your mom in Austin or in Colorado or elsewhere??