Old 05-27-12, 10:50 AM
Torrilin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't buy one. The reason I have a trailer is to handle loads that I can't manage with panniers... and with panniers, I can haul in the 50-60lb range. The Travoy has a max weight of 70lbs, and volume constraints that are about the same as my panniers. And my pannier weight limit is not based on the actual max of my gear, but the max weight the engine can handle.

The other issue with the Travoy vs Nomad is volume. A Nomad's cargo capacity is well in excess of 100L, particularly with the rack attachment. A Travoy's max volume is in the 40-60L range. If you're routinely travelling with on the order of 150L of gear as the stuffed to the gills Nomad and extra pannier indicate... it seems unlikely to me that you'd be able to get your gear volume down by the approximately 50% needed.

I don't know for sure that I've loaded my trailer down with more than 100lbs, but it does routinely handle heavier loads than my panniers.

Wouldn't tour with the trailer in most situations. All the tours I've done, I had no trouble packing into my 40L panniers. The main virtue I can see for the trailer is it might make it doable to do a family tour where my niece and nephew are in a kid trailer, and the gear is in another trailer, and 2 of the 4 adults are hauling basically no weight.