Thread: Cook stove fuel
View Single Post
Old 03-29-21, 10:12 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
The threat of TSA confiscation exists with liquid fueled stoves or fuel containers that could conceivably retain a residue or a residual odor. Gas canister stoves like the pocket rocket are fine as opposed to the canisters themselves. I've been flying out West for a dozen years with my buds and an assortment of MSR and Snowpeak burners without issue, in the checked baggage of course.

I weighed my Svea (empty) and my MSR WhisperLite with a small empty fuel flask and found the "outdated" Svea to be lighter. I used the Svea on my most recent outing even though the temp was in the mid teens, and the output was noticeably reduced. I usually use the WhisperLite in cold conditions as it is pretty much unaffected.

When on the bike in warm weather, the cold temp advantage of the liquid burners is gone and I go for my PocketRocket 2. On the aforementioned summer trips when morning temps are often near or at freezing, the canister stoves work acceptably well.