View Single Post
Old 05-24-21, 11:27 PM
AreeSoothsayer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
Have you done the maths on solar charging the battery? I could easily see whatever power generated by the panels being used by the battery. And you still being short.
Are you planning on charging the battery directly from the solar panels or using a pass through or other battery?
Have you considered what will happen in poor weather?

I've seen (online) a handful of rigs as you describe, but it's pretty niche and I imagine most on here won't have much direct experience.

If you are planning to live this way as opposed to going on a tour of whatever length it's more complicated again.
It would probably be best to try and build a system ar home where you can test out different ideas. A hub dynamo, for instance, for charging other electronics.
The Ebike would have it's own battery. This would limit how far I could travel and how fast I know. The solar setup would be for the trailer itself that I could plug the charger to the bike battery into. Since from what I can tell my solar panels would add up to 520 watts while the motor looks to be a 1000w beast.

Originally Posted by saddlesores
right on!

trailer base weight is 70 pounds. then trick it out with solar panels and super heavy batteries.
gonna need heap big lectrical storage to move that massive mass of weight.

and your cooking setup.
and your food.
and your clothing.
and your electronics.
and tools and spares.
and your sleepy setup.
and...and ....and.....

and you plan to live in it long term?
so yeah.............600-pound+ trailer.

and if you're limited by budget, you won't be able to afford the
lightweight components and composite material$$$$$.

you might go to one of them "tiny house" or "solar dreams" websites
to find somebody with experience with this sort of contraption.

prolly not here, as i don't see you doing any touring with that setup.
I know. I'd be fighting weight limits. This all is plan B and I am looking for those with experience going long term biking. Plan A is a camper vehicle or container truck.. prolly old and in need of tlc.