Old 12-09-21, 06:24 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Warbird21
I love that cycling analogy! I have and had numerous Seiko's, but never yet held a Spring-Drive.
Thanks, I think it really does play out. Americans have a hard time wrapping their head around a brand that has varying quality strata, we think Chevy and it's a Chevy. A Rolex is a Rolex. But Seiko makes every level of watch, from the lowest quartz to their premier Grand Seiko models. Shimano brought that concept to the cycling component world with their varying group levels. I have to imagine the good folks at Campy and Sachs-Huret being floored when they got their hands on the first Dura Ace models. Seiko certainly has their issues, as does any company that has their production levels. I have a Prospex dive model that the bezel doesn't align correctly and the stem cap threads are rough and tend to try to cross thread - it was an over $1k watch. Still, at the higher levels Seiko does a magnificent job and many of their lower end offerings are of impressive quality.

Like I said above, my 90s SKX is still going strong and has never been serviced; it's like a late 90s 105 group. It just works, in a somewhat dull but completely reliable manner.
Likes For poprad: