Old 03-30-21, 09:56 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Chain skipping on new chainrings

I recently replaced my Rotor 52-36 chainrings to Rotor 50-34 and replaced the chain while I was at it. What I'm finding is that when I shift from the smaller inner chainring to the outer larger chainring the chain doesn't bite into the large ring and grinds for a 1/4 turn or so before it settles in. I've got Ultegra Di2 6800 and Rotor 3D+ cranks. The chainrings are round, not the oval ones.

After I installed the chainrings I adjusted the front derailleur down to compensate for the smaller diameter and used a 2mm hex wrench as a feeler gauge at the smallest point between a tooth and the FD cage. I'm pretty sure the FD is otherwise configured correctly because the chain doesn't drop and there's no rubbing as I move up and down the cassette in both rings. The larger ring is installed correctly as I have the pin seated behind the crank arm. I did not remove a link from the chain as compared to the old chain but I find that the chain has tension throughout the shifting range.

Any ideas? Is 2mm too much of a gap? Are there ramps on the inner chainring that need need to be synced with the outer (I didn't see any)? The shifting was as smooth as butter before I touched it so I know the Rotor setup works with my bike. Anything else I'm missing?

--Brad