View Single Post
Old 09-02-19, 10:52 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
I made a pair myself like this. They are awesome for going to the grocery store and loading up, running loads of laundry down to a laundromat, and make awesome utility panniers, but I wouldn't tour with these. Also, long term, I am going to need to keep finding lids as they wear out from flipping them up and down unless I figure out a DIY solution for it long term. Also, they are not as easy to find if you don't know anyone with cats. I searched high and low and it wasn't an easy task. I could find them online for about $15 a container shipped to me. They cost about $15 full at a Pet Smart. So I went down to pet smart, waited for someone to buy the kind I needed, and made them a deal. I would buy one extra one for them, we dump them out, and I keep the containers. The woman I pitched it too thought about it for a long minute and then realized she had extra trash bags in her car that we could dump them into and instantly jumped on it. So bring some heavy duty garbage bags with you so there is no real thought into it and they realize they are getting twice the amount for the price of one, it's a good deal. You get two of them for cheaper then what you can have them shipped to you online for that are already emptied and never used. Outside of that, I couldn't find them anywhere and I was checking Craigslist, ebay, local restaurants for their food containers, and even restaurant supply warehouses. The only way I could find them was to offer to buy one for someone to get the containers.
Sorry, just trying to find an email address and saw this in the inbox. I must have missed it somehow.

I got mine for free att he local dump. I have way over a dozen of them, I got for free at the local dump sitting at home right now. I was actually going to use them to make a raise bed garden as well as use them as panniers. Don't know why you had to pay anything for them. I guess you don't realize, one man's trash can be another man's treasure. Go to where are throwing stuff away and you would be amazed at the stuff you can pick up and repurpose and make into things and save yourself a ton of money. I'm right now looking at using old 2 and 3 liter soda bottles for several different projects which I could pay a lot of money to buy what everyone elses uses but why spend the money when you don't have to. If you don't spend it...you don't have to make it.

I will fess in the past couple of months when I went to the dump I haven't found any kitty liter buckets. Granted you don't see them in the stores anymore either. Tidy Kat stopped using those style buckets unfortunately. The only products using the buckets may be ice melt style products anymore.