Old 07-24-21, 07:49 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,124 Times in 1,966 Posts
Went on a shake down ride this morning to the tune of 7 km...some thoughts on the Peugeot Slimestone...
1. Rust is not necessarily an impediment to shifting which was reasonably smooth until I tried to send the chain back to the granny ring from whence it began...no problem...right foot chain kick and it shifted on there.
2. A rusty chain does add a bit of friction. May offset the rusty fraying cables though and come out net zero impact...
3. Kenda tires...jury is out so far. They are in great, almost new shape so they are keepers, but U turn at speed in gravel is a no go. I WAS able to distance myself from an angry dog on the sidewalk that was about to pull the owner's shoulder from socket...so there's that.
4. For a CrMo frame, it is a heavy little guy. Could be the componentry weighed down by rusty particulates, but I am not dis-assembling anything until 100km. I did cheat and lower the crappy steel post down to a more comfortable level.
5. I sort of thought I would like it more than I did on the first ride. We shall see. And when the kms are over, I can overhaul and lighten it if I still have a hankering. The yellow urine colored paint is a question at the moment...

Last edited by jdawginsc; 07-24-21 at 07:54 AM.
Likes For jdawginsc: