View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 10:43 AM
sbuckaroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
good to know. I actually tried to use wider tires in my bikes. So on the Kona I use 32 mm, and on the IRO I went to 35 mm which is the widest I could go to allow the installation of fenders as this is the one I will use if I start commuting. For the Schwinn paramount I replaced the 23 mm it came with, with 25 mm. I think it probably wouldn’t take wider tires.

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...presuming you are talking about non suspension frames, in comparison to the size of the tires you put on your bicycle, frame material is of only minor effect. So if your problem is rough pavement, your best approach initially would be to increase the width of your pneumatic tires. This will, in many cases, increase the rotating weight of your tire-wheel combination, so it might feel a little slower. But that seems unimportant to you.

Many road bicycles, from about the 80's onward, also have some limitations on the maximum tire size you can fit in the frame. But again, it's often not needed to go to the absolute maximum to get a workable solution.