View Single Post
Old 11-28-22, 10:25 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
The seller should have filled the gap. That is amateurish.

You can get online prices on CL and FBM in large metros. Especially DC, NYC, Boston, LA, San Francisco.......
I always have.

Thats the beauty of living in one of the hotter markets, I'd add Toronto and Vancouver, BC to the list. Here in average market land, I just can't get FMV or anything close to it. On the one hand, this works in my. favor as a BUYER, but it sucks as a seller. Picked up a 1987 Panasonic DV-5000 recently, $50. Full Shimano 600 components. I. didn't scoop it either, it had been for sale for over a month.

Now sadly, if I tried to sell it locally, I would lose $$ on it as clearly I am the only buyer in this. town willing to pay even $50 for it.

So on the one hand, I am blessed with a market where I can find nice bikes for very little $$. On the other hand, I am cursed with a market where I cannot sell bikes for anything close to FMV. My $$ go far, but to sell I have to be willing to pack and ship. As a result, I pass on the basic stuff, and the mid level stuff tends to get parted out.

Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.