Old 05-28-23, 10:28 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Felt a good crack and than the seat wobble. Dang I broke the seat clamp bolts a couple months back too (Kinekt suspension post).

6’4” 275# isn’t gentle on seats and posts.

Time for a new seat! what to get? I like Brooks and have 2 more leather ones in other bikes. But are there seats with stronger seat rails? Brooks should be steel but I don’t know what grade and strength.

Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Felt a good crack and than the seat wobble. Dang I broke the seat clamp bolts a couple months back too (Kinekt suspension post).

6’4” 275# isn’t gentle on seats and posts.

Time for a new seat! what to get? I like Brooks and have 2 more leather ones in other bikes. But are there seats with stronger seat rails? Brooks should be steel but I don’t know what grade and strength.

I use the Kinekt suspension seatpost also. I bought a Spongy Wonder noseless saddle years ago and the manufacture recommended replacing the seat clamp bolts on seatposts with Grade 8 bolts. His saddle design if slid back far enough would put a heck of a twisting load on the seat clamp. Ever since I have been careful to try to get saddles and handlebar setups that centered the seatpost load in a more vertical up and down direction. I have used the Spongy Wonder for years pushed way forward which centers the load over the clamp and have not had any clamp bolt issues. Just another thing to think about at my weight range (260lbs). I love the Kinekt seatpost. Best suspension seatpost I've owned and used by far.