View Single Post
Old 02-28-22, 09:40 PM
leon6782

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
1989 Tommasini Rebuild

So, I started my first (pandemic inspired) attempt at a rebuild late last year. I tend to go full tilt on things like this so I stumbled upon a Diamante frame, probably paid too much for it, and am now building it up with a modern 100% pure blood Italian theme:​​​​​​ Campy, Cinelli, Selle, etc.

Tommasini support email (Barbara is the best!) has been helpful in learning some of the history of the frame, but I still have a few unanswered questions. Hoping someone here can help, because info on the Diamante is especially hard to come by.

(Photos coming soon, she's half built, but a beauty. I'm a new member and can't post photos yet)...

Open Questions:
  1. The fork, seat stays, and chain stays are all fully painted, which is a little disappointing because I love that classic Tommasini polished chrome look. Curious if any of you know if this Columbus MS steel can be exposed/polished by hand, or if that's just a recipe for rust.
  2. I'm looking for Campy downtube adjusters to secure the shifter cables. This frame just has the exposed threaded mounts for lever shifters. OR, even better, is there any way to get those shifter cables to run internally down the bottom tube, similar to how the brake cable is run in the top tube? I always thought it was a shame to have the cables run right over the beautiful Tommasini logo on the down tube. I'm tempted to just drill holes, but trying not to make an irreversible, bad decision here.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Depending on your location, when this beauty is all finished, I will ride/meet you at your cafe, and espresso is on me!