Old 01-16-19, 12:09 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 12boy
I would second the Ergons and consider bar ends. I'd lose the rear rack in favor of a front bag if you need to carry stuff. The additional weight over the front wheel wheel actually helps handling. I'd also put some Stan's type liquid tubeless tire sealant in the tires since those tires are a little tricky to remove. If you are not familiar with SA 3 speeds make sure you are clear on how to adjust the cable tension for the hub before taking off for a ride. I like 2 way SPDs on my Brompton. Can't tell from the photo but the firm elastomer for the suspension is always something to consider especially if you are a heavier rider.
The rack has huge advantages when it comes to rolling the folded bike and it has a huge capacity for transporting stuff like packages and so on. So it may be very useful or less useful, depending on how big one rates optics, how often the bike has to carried, how often it is rolled in folded state and if at least occasionally bulkier items are on the transport list. As a standard I would also definitively go for a front bag - the carrier is just an extension for more and bulkier luggage.

As written before the bike does not have a SA 3-speed but a SRAM 3-speed hub - at least factory fitted. It got a new rim at the back anytime since 2013, so it is theroretically possible that the hub got exchange for a SA BWR. Hard to tell from the pics. Adjusting is basically identical and very easy (and only necessary very very rarely after may years - or after fixing a puncture). I see no difficulties in mounting and unmounting tires - mostly a question of technique as long as there's no M+ involved.
The firm elastomer does no longer exist since the beginning of 2018. Standard is a new elastomer (only one version available) that is claimed to sit in between the former standard and former hard one. This bike has however the old elastomer up to 2007, before standard and hard versions were invented in 2008. At that time there was only one version as well. The good thing is you can make it harder just by mounting an adjustable hose clamp around the rubber, so technically no need for a new elastomer.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 01-16-19 at 12:15 PM.