Old 09-02-22, 08:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,839 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
I've used many kinds of mirrors too, and I prefer the Varia. Seeing cars further back than you can see in a small mirror (up to 140m - no way you'll see that far back in a tiny 5cm diameter mirror, no matter how good the optical quality of the mirror is) and getting a much better judgement of their approaching speed are huge advantages of the Varia over a mirror, IMO.
Yup .... I don't need to see a car at 140 meters (though I can under optimal conditions.) What I need to know is where the car is when it is close ... but no matter if I know its closing speed or not .... I don't care. It is going to hit me or not .... so far, not. And as it gets closer, I use all my senses .... but as I say, each has a preference and none of it is really important.

As long as we are not crushed by the cars coming up from behind us, I don't care if you tow a toddler in a trailer with a radar gun who calls out closing speeds and vehicle descriptions.

By the way, I use a normal-sized 5-cm mirror. I don't even know what a tiny cm is.