Old 02-15-20, 05:52 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TrackSmart
Fascinating! I *really* like the idea of a quick-release rear rack (and some matching quick-release full-coverage fenders that don't stink -- if such things exist). But the price of the Tailfin system is pretty steep give the rack and specific-designed bags combined. Especially when you already own a high quality rack + bags. Plus there is the extra complication of full-coverage fenders, which in my case, are partly attached to mounting points on my rack.

It sounds like you did your homework before buying the Tailfin system. In your research, did you find any quick-release hardware that can be adapted to existing conventional rack designs? And fenders, too, for the holy grail? I'm guessing the answer is 'no', but who knows... Clearly there are plenty of products out there I have not heard about.
So the great thing with the Tailfin system is if you already own panniers, you can get an adapter through them that allows you to use them. I'm not sure about any other designs that offer quick release for rack systems. I know the Tailfin system was something that worked perfect for me, the rack system on and off in 30 seconds and less than 15 seconds for the panniers to come on and off. And if you want to keep the rack system on, it looks fantastic, with the carbon fiber and graceful lines. I've put hundreds of miles on the system and not ever a rattle or an issue. Like I said, it's pricey but I don't have an issue paying for quality and paying just once. The system comes with a fender also, not a full coverage one but enough to keep you dry, as for the front I have nothing yet but I'll keep looking.
As for the Hook EXT-C - all I can say is wow. want to run 650b's with a 2.1" WTB Nano to rip through the trails? Do it. Want to run 700c's and get some street miles in? Go for it. I've done 80 mile road rides no problem and 600 mile off road adventures loaded with 60 pounds of gear and this thing just takes it. I've never been happier with a bike purchase, this is definitely an N+1 killer.