Old 10-26-20, 10:33 AM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I'll 2nd that.
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Looks like a Phil Wood unit to me!
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Circa the late 70s, a TA crank and Phil Wood BB was the hot setup for touring, or for someone who wanted a triple or other non race gearing. Older bike shops will still have the remover for those if you don't want to buy one. Phil will rebuild them for a modest fee if it has gotten crunchy in the last 40+ years.

Shimano copied Phil, not the other way around. Just to make that clear...
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I concur; looks like a Phil mounting ring (N.B. Phil rings do fit other cartridges, so there's a small, but non-zero chance that the cartridge itself might not be Phil).

But not closely enough to use the same tool as Phil
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Yep, Phil Wood. I had a pleasant surprise like that on one of my bikes, too!
Thanks, y'all
While this is a "sentimental" restoration, it is being done on a budget. My friend Doug really doesn't want a "restoration" per se, he wants it to be functional so that his grown son can take it on an occasional ride. Doug has a shortened lease on life, and is clearing things out of his life. His son worked with Ibis and did about 15K miles on his aborted solo around the world trip.( Siberian roads and massive trucks made him value his life more than the ride.) Son will only ride occasionally and the bike will probably live in garage, a momento, not a daily (sigh). So I am doing what I can to make it ride-able.
The BB bearings are a tiny bit crunchy, but rotate without binding at all. I am afraid that removing it may be really difficult, as the rings look like they are rusted solid to the shell.
But thanks so much.

The wheel hubs look like PW also, stainless steel, with signature press in bearing, high flange, BUT there is no red "phil Wood" lettering on them. Did they make them without the signature?

Thanks again. I am lucky to be a member of this community.
Nubra

Last edited by Nubra; 10-26-20 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling and add info