View Single Post
Old 09-26-21, 11:41 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Average speed and split times were my main metrics, in addition to noting my ability to hang with the faster/fastest regional training rides.

I have to credit the bikes with having significant effect on speed, especially here in the foothills with all of the altitude changes.
Surprises were a Bridgestone 400 having 7s Command shifters, and a 1967 PX10 having 7s STI and old aero Roval tubulars.
The ergonomic fit of the bike, the particular gearing and the quality of the tires seem perhaps more important than the weight of these two heavy-ish bikes, both of which gave me some of my best avg speeds and split times.
A stock 1979 Fuji Professional with 7s friction shifting also surprised me with it's recorded speed.

The fit is really important WRT encouraging the rider to more effortlessly get off of the saddle (and back and forth) for attacks on hills with less downshifting. I credit the more-forward saddle position primarily, and which also allows the rider to achieve better aero without bending further at the waist.

My best average for a hilly 45 miles (which included the 19 miles down to the ride start plus some 22 miles of actual group riding with local racers) was 19.67mph on what I believe was/is a 1967 Peugeot. This when I was almost 50 and in nearly the best shape of my life.