genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Back in 2012 the League of American Bicyclists did a study (of sorts, reported HERE) in which they found that 35% of the fatalities were due to "struck from behind" types of events. I think there were plans to do further investigation into on-road bike accidents, but I never saw any more results. One piece of information I would have loved to see was whether or not the cyclist was equipped with a rear-view mirror. This sort of information is rarely, if ever, reported. My hypothesis is that riders who use rear vision equipment are less likely to be hit from behind. In the absence of supporting evidence, I always ride on the road with some kind of rear-view mirror.
Not to disagree with you in anyway... but just to point out the irony of the forward person, having to have a mirror, to see behind and avoid the person who is approaching from behind that has a clear view of the rider right in front of them.

Sure, mirrors are great, and I ride with one. But I wonder about the magic of windshields, that do not permit drivers to see cyclists in front of them.

(yes, there is sarcasm in that... as likely a cyclist that is "hit from behind" happens as a cyclist makes a lateral move, in front of an approaching vehicle the cyclist failed to notice.)
Likes For genec: