Old 06-23-22, 03:53 PM
Zumkopf

Bikes: '62 Schwinn Continental, '69 Schwinn Paramount, '74 Raleigh International, '75 Peugeot PX-10LE, '76 MKM Dominator, '80 Holdsworth Mistral, '81 Woodrup Giro Touring, '87 Bianchi Brava, '89 Schwinn (Waterford) Paramount, '94 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Market value really isn't the issue.

Originally Posted by Tiny_Valkyrie
I've had my sights on a '69 Raleigh Sports, 3-speed, (step-through) at our local bike co-op. It looks to be all original, the metallic brown paint and decals are in great shape. The rear internal hub needs some work. [break] [But] After working on [the Raleigh Record] bike, I am really liking it and I'm not sure I want to flip it now.

What I am interested in, is your opinions on which bike is more valuable. In my research, it would seem the Record Ace would be the better model based on components and some old Raleigh price sheets I've come across. I'm curious what your thoughts are between the two models.
OK, first of all, market value really isn't the issue. Neither bike will ever command much money; the Record was the entry-level derailleur/drop bar bike in the Raleigh lineup; the Sports was their meat and potatoes in England, and to a lesser state here in the States, for decades. Multiple decades.

They are two entirely different riding experiences. The Sports seats an upright rider, takes things slower, is much more comfortable over road and track. The Record puts the rider leaning forward, has a dreadful seat IIRC, and can be positively punishing on a really rough road. But you will certainly both feel and in reality be moving faster, hair in the wind, on the Record.

For my money I'd take the Sports and find another bike for the sporting ride. You will need more than one bike anyway, as others have pointed out. There are plenty of 10 - 12 - multi multi speed options out there, the majority of which will be lighter than the Record, with better components, and will cost not much more and perhaps less. You get a better version of that particular riding experience. OTOH the Sports was and is the apotheosis of the English touring/commuting bike experience. There's nothing else that gives that experience.

Last edited by Zumkopf; 06-23-22 at 05:26 PM.
Likes For Zumkopf: